Did you know that poor structural integrity and insufficient safety measures can have disastrous consequences, including the collapse of a building, loss of life, and monetary losses? EcoConcrete offers a structural audit to ensure that your residential, or commercial properties are safe, adhere to relevant codes, and present no danger during construction and while in use.
On the 26thSep 2022 a six-story residential building in kirigiti, Kiambu county collapsed, three days later 29thSep 2022 another six-story building in Ololua Kajiado county collapsed. The engineer’s board of Kenya did an investigation and found out;
- The kirigiti project was not registered by the county government of Kiambu and the National Construction Authority.
- Professional engineers were not included in the design and supervision of the construction process.
- There is no evidence of involvement of professional engineers in the construction of the Ololua Kajiado project.
For these reasons, we encourage developers to involve professional engineers from the design stages to the construction supervision of any project undertaken.
Structural audits include a comprehensive check of buildings and premises, including:
- Verification of Load Conditions
- Evaluation of the Structural System of the Building
- Detection of Structural Defects, Damages, Distress, Deformation, or Deterioration
- Plan and Alignment Check
- Assessing Maintenance and Exposure to an Aggressive Environment
- Other Structural Surveys and Checks
- Fire Safety Check (optional)
Ecoconcrete is affiliated with Somers Engineering Ltd, a company that provides specialized engineering solutions for structures. Notably, the affiliation with Somers assures customers of the integrity of the beam and block slab system with every floor produced being checked by a professional engineer against the design of the building for loading spans and functionality.
A structural engineer plays a key part in your construction project when you need a structural inspection and can help when you need an expert on your side.
The structural audit is carried out by experienced and licensed structural civil engineers. A typical Profile Auditor has over 15 years of experience in the relevant field, including design and construction supervision.
Who is a structural engineer?
A structural engineer, as the name suggests, is an engineer who specializes in the structure of buildings. They determine the strength and durability of a structure – i.e., a building – and are a key professional in the construction process. They are able to assess a building’s safety. In building and home renovation projects, they will provide specifications and calculations for the design, as well as suggest building materials.
How can I find the right structural engineer?
There are many types of structural engineers with experience working on a variety of structural audits. For a home renovation or inspection, you will need to hire an engineer with experience in residential work.
Your engineer is likely to be a member of either the Institution of Structural Engineers or the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).
POST - STRUCTURAL AUDIT
Based on the structural audit findings and recommendations, appropriate changes may be required. This includes repairs, strengthening of structural elements, or replacement of damaged or faulty components.
EcoConcrete provides follow-up services, such as live load analysis, redesign, and assists in implementing the necessary corrective actions.
WHY DO WE PERFORM STRUCTURAL AUDITS
- To ensure safe working conditions, preventing injury and loss of life
- To protect our brand’s image and reputation
- To comply with statutory requirements (construction and design codes by country)
- To gain an accurate picture of the state of safety in your supply chain
- To prevent supply chain interruptions
Structural integrity is an engineering field that helps ensure that either a structure or structural component is fit for purpose under normal operating conditions and is safe even should conditions exceed that of the original design. As a company, structural advice is an integral part of our sales process, before we supply you with the precast slab, we must ensure structural integrity.
Contact us today for a precast floor/roof slab solution that comes with value-added professional structural advice on your build.